FWC Approved Courses Now Available!
Kleinfelder has been FORMALLY APPROVED by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) to provide training courses to the public in support of the new FWC Authorized Gopher Tortoise Agent (AA) permit. The gopher tortoise was uplisted to a Threatened species by the FWC. As such, an AA permit is now required to conduct specific gopher tortoise related activities in association with relocation and recipient site projects.
Kleinfelder professional staff offers decades of consulting and training experience in gopher tortoise permitting, capture, relocation and research. Additionally, our staff worked closely with the FWC and other Stakeholders during implementation of the newly revised FWC Gopher Tortoise Permitting Guidelines (GTPG) and even assisted in the testing of the new FWC online permitting system. This experience combined with a history of effectively managing development projects throughout the US provides a comprehensive resource combined with a practical approach to assist in obtaining the mandatory FWC certification, as well as to ensure the effective application of the new FWC regulations.
The following courses are available for FWC certification. For complete course content, click on the course of interest:
Duration: 3 days
Dates: To be determined
Cost: $650/person (Government, multiple employee, and group rates available)
This course completely supplements the FWC experience requirement for Gopher Tortoise Surveys.
- Gopher Tortoise History, Biology, and Anatomy
- Transect Survey Methodology
- FWC Permitting Regulations (GTPG) associated with Surveying & Permitting
- Preparation of Relocation and Recipient Site Applications
Duration: 4 days
Dates: October 15-18, 2013
Cost: $1500/person (Government, multiple employee, and group rates available)
This course completely supplements the experience requirement for the following activities:
- Bucket Trapping
- Live Trapping
- Hand Shovel Excavation
- Market, Transport, and Release of Gopher Tortoise
Supervision of Mechanical Excavation of Gopher Tortoise Burrows - This course reduces the FWC experience criteria for this activity from excavation of 50 burrows and extraction of 20 tortoises to excavation of 30 burrows and extraction of 12 tortoises.
- FWC Approved Capture Methods and Methodology
- Sunshine State One Call of Florida, Inc. - Florida law requires you to locate underground utilities prior to conducting earthwork on a project site.
- OSHA Safe Excavation Regulations - Currently, there are no FWC certifications required for backhoe operators; however, review of OSHA regulations is recommended.
- Overview of Collection & Submittal of Blood Samples
Schedule of Courses
For more information, please contact Amy Townsend at 352-408-7547.
- Kleinfelder has permitted donor sites that can be utilized for training courses. Course participants are not responsible for providing properties or permitted sites for training.
- Kleinfelder AA Certification Courses meet all FWC certification and training requirements, yet are tailored to the needs of the participants with focus on specific areas of interest and need! A la carte training options may be available.
- Have a large group? Discounts are available for large groups, multiple employees and government entities.
- Depending upon site availability and interest, our courses are mobile in order to reduce your travel costs.
- 2 backhoes will be utilized for those Course 2 classes with 5 or more participants, in order to maximize hands-on experience during the course.
- Kleinfelder AA Certification Courses are approved as Continuing Education (CE) credits with the International Society of Technical and Environmental Professionals (INSTEP) – Licensed Environmental Professional certification. Kleinfelder’s Course 1 = 24 hours of CE credits and Kleinfelder Course 2 = 32 hours of CE credits.
- Also, The Wildlife Society (TWS) has approved Kleinfelder’s Courses 1 and 2 as educational requirements in obtaining the Certified Wildlife Biologist (CWB) and Associate Wildlife Biologist (AWB) certifications. Kleinfelder’s Course 1 = 19 contact hours in Category 1 and Kleinfelder’s Course 2 = 16 hours in Category 1. Also, each of the courses may provide course substitutions in the wildlife biology and policy/administration/law categories in the CWB/AWB application.
- Kleinfelder also has Certified AAs on staff to assist in your excavation projects, upon request